Re: Carnivorous Sponges

From: Chris Teichreb (teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA)
Date: Tue Feb 18 1997 - 13:31:01 PST

Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 15:31:01 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Carnivorous Sponges

> > Unlike other sponges, the newly discovered deep-sea sponge
> > "Abestopluma" turns nature inside out. It has evolved a taste for animals
> > that happen to swim into its spindly arms.
>
> The last time I checked sponges weren't actually classified as plants. I
> can't remember the reference but it was something I looked into as I used
> to keep Tropical Marine Fish. Just my 2c worth
>
> Davin

        True indeed. Sponges may be lowly creatures, but they're still
classed as animals! It would probably be more comforting to beleive that
you're washing your body or dishes with a plant, and not the body of
some former marine creature ;-) (even though most sponges are synthetic
nowadays!).

Regards,

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biology