CP hardiness

From: Fred K. Lenherr (lenherr@tiac.net)
Date: Wed Feb 19 1997 - 03:54:37 PST

Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 06:54:37 -0500
From: "Fred K. Lenherr" <lenherr@tiac.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CP hardiness

Hi,

I posted here about 2 years ago, asking about hardy VFT strains,
and received seed from two kind gentlemen in Ohio and the UK.

(I live on the Zone 4/5 border, minimum temperature -20 F., and
wondered if the CP's usually found only in the South could be selected
for hardiness in Northern Climes.)

I propagated these seeds by tissue culture and planted them, along
with plants from Orgel's in Florida, my local garden center, and other
suppliers, last Winter ('95/'96). They ALL survived, although some
didn't seem especially thrilled by the experience.

I also planted various Sarracenia and *they* survived too. So right
now I think that many "Southern" species are limited by competition
from weeds rather than hardiness per se.

If you live in Zone 5 or farther North, please email me with
your experiences -- your location, species grown, how long, what
success, etc. etc. I'll try to write something up for CPN.

My location is 42.5 N, 72.3 W, 1000' elevation in north central
Massachusetts. I have four small artificial bogs (wading pools).

I have results for only one year so far (the second year's results
won't be in for about two months when it thaws). They were:

D. muscipula -- 2 large and 5 small plants in 8" SPM top-dressed
with sand, all survived with 1" pine needle mulch, mostly naturally
derived from the big pine tree that grows just north of the bogs.

S. flava -- 1 large plant, survived and flowered. This and all
the following are in 8" SPM top-dressed with coarse live sphagnum,
our local, undetermined species.

S. psittacina -- 1 plant, survived, looked strange at first,
eventually resumed normal growth habit and appearance.

S. leucopohylla -- 3 or 4 large clumps of small plants, 1 maybe
with some S. purpurea genes lurking in the background, all did
very well.

I also have D. californica out *this* winter, so no firm results,
but one small plant, visible where snow cover has melted due to
seepage, looked very healthy.

If you have any experiences to share, please email me, I'm
not subscribed right now. Thanks,

Fred

P.S. I'm looking for a copy of Schnell's "CP's of US and Canada",
any condition, please let me know if you have one to spare.

--
Fred K. Lenherr, Ph.D.		Neuroscience Web Search
lenherr@tiac.net		http://www.acsiom.org/nsr/neuro.html