Re: Re: stratification of D.californica

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Feb 20 1997 - 17:11:00 PST

Date:    Thu, 20 Feb 97 20:11 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: stratification of D.californica

> From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@BRUNT.DEMON.CO.UK>
>
> Am I right in thinking that Darlingtonia doesn't get frozen in
> habitat? Nevertheless the plants aren't troubled by the
> occasional freezing we get here.

Hi List,

    Here is a list of species that can be and are frozen in their
native habitats:

VFT
Darlingtonia

All Sarracenia (some don't get that cold where they live, but all
can handle temps down to zone 5, at least)

Winter-bud forming Drosera and Pinguicula - the only exception I
know is D.filiformis var. (but truely subsp.) tracyi which can
handle a good frosting, but not much worse.

Most other CP and even some highland Neps can take a frosting but
that's about it.

   Seed doesn't need to be frozen for stratification, just
below 40~F. (4~C.) My selfed P.grandiflora seed all came up (95%)
after sitting wet in the fridge for about five months. I think
these seeds, like Darlingtonia and Neps, need to be kept cold
and not superdry to remain fresh, no freezing needed. Sarracenia
and Drosophyllum are the only CP seeds to germinate for me after
sitting in a drawer for a couple weeks before sowing (oh yeah,
forgot about the D.capenis, too). Probably other plants from
"drier" climes or those where there is a dry season will also
be more resistant to the seed drying.

Dave Evans