Re: Fertilizing Nepenthes

From: Heggood@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 20 1997 - 15:29:24 PST

Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 18:29:24 -0500 (EST)
From: Heggood@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Fertilizing Nepenthes

Hi Paul,

I grrow nepenthes in my basement under lights. I have a 1/2 gallon
pump-up had sprayer from Sears that I use for watering the plants
once or so a week. From time to time (no set schedule) I will add
5 drops of superthrive and a pinch of miracid furtilizer. I have at least
14 different neps, not a single one without pitchers. One should use
caution though, one is tempted, almost compelled sometimes to
over do it. So far I haven't killed one. The most I've ever used is 2
time in a single month. The whole winter I used it twice. I apply
it to the planting mixture, not the leaves. I'm sure there are those
that will disagree with my practice, but to my observation so far
there have been few subjects raised on the listserver that have
concluded without diverse opinion.

One more thing, pithcer rate may be more dependent on humidity
than nourishment. I've done no studies, but have noted reference
by other growers on the list. I keep my plants at 70 percent RH or
more.

Hope this helps,
-steve-