Re: help with seed germination

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 20 1997 - 11:25:27 PST

Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 20:25:27 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: help with seed germination

On 17 Feb 97 at 19:45, Alan D Reeves wrote:

> I have some D. capensis, P.vulgaris(?), and D.aliciae(?) seed that I am
> trying to germinate...

For the Drosera, I'd say just give them time. So long as they are
the species you think they are, then they should be very reliable
even if they have been stored for some time. I guess I'd expect
results in maybe 20-30 days, but maybe longer if it's cold.

Pinguicula vulgaris is another matter though. It's a frost-hardy
plant and might well not germinate unless frozen and thawed a few
times (after sowing). I've never had good germination from hardy
Pings. even then.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/ Seeds, Cacti in Mexico, etc.