help with seed germination

From: Alan D Reeves (alanreeves@juno.com)
Date: Mon Feb 17 1997 - 19:39:11 PST

Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 22:39:11 EST
From: alanreeves@juno.com (Alan D Reeves)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: help with seed germination

I have some D. capensis, P.vulgaris(?), and D.aliciae(?) seed that I am
trying to germinate. I have some of the D.capensis on some peat that I
spray with water to keep moist, some in a petri dish on a piece of tissue
paper, and some on many sheets of tissue paper with a fine layer of peat
on top of the tissue paper and under the seeds. I have some P.vulgaris
in a petri dish as well as some D.aliciae in another dish. The lids are
kept on the dishes, in a semi-dark room with the paper constantly wet.
They all have been in their present states(with the exception of the
first of the D.capensis,which has stayed for about 10 days longer)for
about 10 days. None of the seeds have germinated. Am I doing something
wrong? Should I give them more time? Do they have enough humidity? In
the south of Alabama, the humidity rarely goes below about 60%. If
anyone has any help, please let me know. Thanks

Alan in Mobile, AL USA
AlanReeves@juno.com