Re: Sarracenia flower removal?

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 22 1997 - 04:07:53 PST

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 13:07:53 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia flower removal?

On 19 Feb 97 at 20:06, Carl Mazur wrote:

> My sarrs as well are starting to push flower spikes. It is advisable to
> remove the flowers ASAP if you don't wish to collect seed. Flower does
> tend to drain the plants energy.

My attitude to this is that if I grow a plant (any plant) then I want
to cultivate all of it - roots, leaves, flowers - and have it look
and behave as near as possible to what it might to in the wild.

So the flowers stay, whether or not I want seed. I quite like the
appearance of the old Sarracenia flowers, which seem to stick around
for the whole season even if there turns out to be no seed inside.

Same with my Venus Fly Traps - I must have had 20-30 flower spikes
last year.

As for this 'draining the energy': Has anyone done the experiment?
Take a large batch of plants and remove flowers from half to compare
the effect. I haven't got the time, energy, or inclination to bother
doing this.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/ Seeds, Cacti in Mexico, etc.