Re: Fragrance from Nepenthes

From: Chris Teichreb (teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA)
Date: Mon Feb 24 1997 - 13:42:11 PST

Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 15:42:11 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Fragrance from Nepenthes

Hi Perry,

> Hey all you Nepenthes growers,
>
> Have any one of you noticed a mild and sweet
> fragrance coming from you plants? Not from
> the flowers! (they smell bad)
>
> Perry Malouf

        I'm not experienced with Nepenthes, but I wouldn't be a bit
surprised if the odour is coming from the pitchers. The natural
enzymes or more likely, the nectar that is produced is supposed to
attract unwary insects to it. Very similar to many flowers. They
use the scent to attract insects from a long distance, and then
sight (look at all that nectar!) to bring em home! The fact that
you can actually smell it (remember, humans have pretty crappy
senses!) must mean that the Nepenthes are quite happy, putting a lot
of energy into producing nectar to attract more insects. It could
also be partly due to the fact that you have so many in one small
area and all the scents are combining. Sounds almost euphoric!

Regards,

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biology
University of Regina