Re: Aroma

From: Chris Teichreb (teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA)
Date: Wed Feb 26 1997 - 06:44:12 PST

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:44:12 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Aroma

Hi Kerry,

> I am new to Nepenthes, and have not noticed any sweet
> smell at this point, but the one plant that now own
> ( I have no idea what kind) produces small amounts of
> nectar all over the upper surface of its leaves.
> Is this normal? I have only read about the nectar being
> produced on or near pitchers. I have seen this nectar
> even in the absence of pitchers.
>
> Kerry Tyler

        This is a Nepenthes plant, right? Just making sure. If it's
producing it all over the leaves, it sounds more like there's been
some sort of damage to the leaves and it's exuding the 'sap'. If
I were you, I'd check carefully for aphids. Could it also be water
condensing on the leaves due to high humidity?

Regards,

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biology
University of Regina