Re: Feeding Sarrs

From: John H. Phillips III (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 25 1997 - 16:36:42 PST

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:36:42 +0800
From: "John H. Phillips III" <phillips@library.ucsf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Feeding Sarrs

At 12:49 AM 2/26/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi
>I've heard that you can "feed" Sarracenias by pouring ordinary flower
>nutrition into the pitchers. Is this true, and if so, which "dose" of
>fertilizer should I use compared to "ordinary" flowers and which part of
>the year could this be applied? Could Nephentes be fed the same way? Are
>there any positive effects, in terms of growth, by doing so?
>/ Mats

I feed my Cephalotus, Sarracenia and Nepenthes by squirting dilute solutions
of orchid or epiphyte fertilizer into the pitchers. I would recommend
solutions no stronger than1/3 strength as directed in the instructions. And
underfeed rather than overfeed especially if they grow outside where they
are catching insects. You can also feed them by spraying the foliage, but
be very careful with young plants. If they aren't catching their own food,
I find it increases they're rate of growth.
John H. Phillips III e-mail:phillips@library.ucsf.edu
Interlibrary Loan Rm 202
Health Sciences Library
University of California