Re: CEPHALOTUS

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Feb 28 1997 - 17:28:00 PST

Date:    Fri, 28 Feb 97 20:28 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CEPHALOTUS

> DON'T SEEM TO THRIVE. I'VE GOT THEM IN 4 INCH POTS IN 1/2 PEAT/ 1/2 SAND.
> THEY PUT UP NICE GREEN LEAVES, AND EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE I GET A NICE LITTLE
> PITCHER OR TWO, BUT THEY DON'T LOOK LIKE THE PLANTS I SEE AT CAL CARNIVORES
> OR THE SHOWS. SO, TO MY QUESTIONS...
> 1) IS THERE SOME TRICK OR SECRET THAT I DON'T KNOW THAT SOMEONE WOULD LIKE TO
> SHARE WITH ME?

No trick. You got the mix right, perhaps a little more peat, about
2/3 of the volume... I wouldn't repot though. Maybe by next year.
Perhaps, you could ask Peter (CA Carn's Owner) how he keeps them so
well. I can't, but I'm much better at growing them then I was.

> BIG ROBUST PLANTS FOR LESS THAN AN ARM AND A LEG? (ANYONE WANT TO TRADE FOR
> ORCHIDS OR OTHER CARNIVORES?

You must grow them yourself, unless someone out there would give
up the best of their collection. And then being packaged and mailed
does not promote a plant's best health...

> 3) LASTLY, IS THE GIANT FORM AVAILABLE YET?
> THANK YOU ALL...NEAL GRANT

No. As far as I can tell, the giant form is bogus. Might be a
bit different, and slightly greener. However, I think the giant
plants are the ones that are happy while the rest are not so happy
and remain small sized. For example, I've been growing Cephalotus
for several years and only this year has it grown well for me (they
all got big). I can't really be sure why - there were no major
changes - though I did reduce the humidity, lower the light and
increase water, but these were all very moderate changes. Seems
to have worked though, as the plants are growing very fast, just
like happy plants should.

Anyone want to buy some of my (currently) giant Ceph's? :-Q

Dave Evans