Re: VFT

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Sun Mar 02 1997 - 11:14:42 PST

Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 15:14:42 -0400
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT

>Just joined the cp listserver. I live in Greensboro NC and have been
>interested in venus fly traps since the fourth grade. While on a trip
>to NC's coastal area last spring I purchased a VFT at a local nursery.
>It has grown quite a bit but I dont know the universal way to measure.
>It flowered last summer but I did not help it pollinate. I will next
>time. One question: when and if it does pollinate and produce seeds
>where will I find the seeds on the plant?
>thanks,
>Lee

Welcome to the List, Lee.

There are many people on the CP List that can answer your question in
_great_ detail. And many more, more scientific.

The short answer is:

You will find the seeds on what is left of the pollinated flower, like most
other plants, in a pod. The seeds, themselves, will be black and small.
They can be stored in a refrigerator for quite some time, but are best
planted after they are collected, for maximum germination.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson(writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)