My CP's like fishtank water

From: Pat Jellison (jellison@ceps.nasm.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 03 1997 - 08:00:29 PST

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 97 11:00:29 EST
From: jellison@ceps.nasm.edu (Pat Jellison)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: My CP's like fishtank water

Hello CP-ers,

A while back I promised to post w/results of using fishtank water on my CPs.
The short answer is, they're doing rather well with it.

Background: I have one covered but vented terrarium w/ a cape sundew (D.capensis),
two purple pitchers (S.purpura), and two VFTs (D.muscipula), all planted in
live sphagnum.

The fishtank is a 55gallon tank w/discus cichlids; no plants in the tank; wet/dry
filter; water is a 50/50 mix of pure RO water and carbon-filtered tap water.
There certainly is fish waste in the water, but in small amounts because we
change water so frequently.

For the past month I've been using some of the change-out water on my CPs. The
results are good. I had been close to losing the VFTs to rot, and my pitchers
looked pretty feeble. With the tank water, the pitchers have colored up
beautifully and the VFTs are reviving. The sundew is still marginal (had a
bout with fungus in January). So that's my report!

Cheers (and thanks to all on the list who kindly helped me ID my sundew
last fall!)

Pat Jellison (jellison@ceps.nasm.edu)