Re: beginners questions

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 10 1997 - 11:47:38 PST

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 20:47:38 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: beginners questions

On 10 Mar 97 at 8:56, cam.f4@ukonline.co.uk wrote:

> I have a couple of Darlingtonia that have been
> produced by Vesutor, in other words they are T. recently acquired C. plants
> and still in their plastics flasks . Although they look extremely healthy and are
> growing well they have as yet no roots. Are they a difficult plant to produce
> by this method because I know some plants are more suited to this method
> than others or do they just simply take a while to develop their roots compared
> to their leaves...

I think your second line went a bit scatty :-) but evidently means to
say that the plants are T.C. (tissue cultured). I started with
Darlingtonia in one of those little flasks. I chose the one that
seemed to have most growing points on it. For those outside the UK
who might now have seem these things in garden centres, they are in a
small tube, and unlikely to have more than 1 to 2 cm of plant in
them. I can't honestly remember whether or not mine had roots at the
start - the TC people on the list should be able to tell you how best
to get roots to form. Anyway, I just spread the various bits out in a
pot, put a cover over it until they were established, and away they
went - they are now two large flowering plants (9 inch pots) from
which I have sent out seed to people on the list for the last two
years, and several smaller ones.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Seeds from Cambridge University Botanic Garden, etc.