Re: Re: Video

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Mar 12 1997 - 13:30:00 PST

Date:    Wed, 12 Mar 97 16:30 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Video

> >As an alternative, I went to my local liberary, checked out the video, took
> >it home and made a copy (for private viewing purposes only).
>
> Aaaahhh which is still quite illegal - you are in breach of copyright
> and you could get charged for doing this. It would be better to
> check the video out of the library and, if you like it enough, chase
> "it up and buy one"

Hmm... Considering that the public owns what is in a library, why on
Earth would it be illegal to make a copy, that will not be used to
make profit by showing it, of what you already own? You can legally
tape the same shows off the tube when they are played by a TV station
for the profit of said station. BTW, most libraries have photo copying
devices so you can make copies of the copy righted books and I have not
noticed any legal hollabalu over that...

Missing a bit of info on this one,
Dave Evans