Re: Re: Flowers

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Mar 12 1997 - 16:31:00 PST

Date:    Wed, 12 Mar 97 19:31 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Flowers

> >facing inside. So far, I have not been able to get pollen out
> >S.rubra rubra flower without taking off a petal or two to reach
> >in a scrape some off the top of the style.
>
> Pollen in produced in the anthers so I assume this is what you meant.

Yes, the pollen does fall from the anther right onto the top of the
style as it looks just like an openned, but up-side-down, umbrella.
The pollen then waits for a bee to drag it's butt along the style
and hitches a ride from the bee as it leaves. I have never gathered
the pollen directly from the anthers on Sarracenia. I did "crack"
open some from a S.oreophila that didn't seem to make pollen, there
was none inside and I discarded the plant for fear a virus (the
leaves were unduly warped looking too, ever for this species which
does tend to have some unsymetrical leaves).

Dave E