Water purifier question...

From: Gary (garko@sfsu.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 12 1997 - 16:28:33 PST

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 16:28:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Gary <garko@sfsu.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Water purifier question...

Hi everyone--

Well, it's been almost two months in San Francisco without significant
rainfall. I'm sure those of you in less mild climates will withhold your
sympathy. However, for my plants--which have been exposed to hot dry
weather for the past week or so--this lack of rainfall has been very
detrimental. I can't afford a gallon bottle of distilled water every
week, so I'm appealing to you chemists out there to help me determine
whether the water from the water purifier in my kitchen is CP safe. (I'm
afraid the owner's manual was tossed out long ago.) Here's the info: (and
don't ask me what all this means...that's what I'm asking you :^> )

Model: Multi-Pure MPC500C
        Tested and certified to NSF standards, numbers 42 and 53
No. 42: taste, odor and chlorine (class 1)
        particulate matter (class 1)
No. 53: asbestos, cysts, lindane, 2,4-D, trihalomethanes, turbidity,
        volatile organic chemicals

Nowhere is there mention of sodium, and I was wondering if that would be
included in "particulate matter," and if so, what the "class 1" rating
signified. In short, is water from this purifier safe for my CPs or not?

Thanks tons,
Gary

p.s.: the no. 53 list of chemicals sure makes you think twice about
drinking from a faucet, don't it?