Re: Re: Re: Re: Video

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Mar 13 1997 - 13:59:00 PST

Date:    Thu, 13 Mar 97 16:59 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Video

Sorry to continue this sort of off beat thread, but the answers
to the questions may keep some of us out of "hot water."

> From: blymn@AWADI.COM.AU(Brett Lymn)
>
> Yes it is :-) This is why you get the little bit of waffle in the
> video recorder manual about taping things is illegal - it covers the
> VCR manufacturer's arse. Even time jumping (taping a program to be
> viewed a few hours later then overwritten) is not legal - you would
> not, in all probability, get charged for doing this but you could in
> theory.

So then why can VCR's do just this? They are made specifically
to do just that... That is the main/only reason to get a VCR, or
was until till video rental stores became so popular. Infact, there
now signals being sent from the TV stations so you just type in
a number or letter (each show gets it's own #) to facilitate the
copying of shows. When the VCR "hears" the number, it starts
taping until the signal ends with the end of the show.

> Here in Australia there was some talk of putting a surcharge on
> cassette tapes to make up for the revenue that is lost by people
> copying music tapes. I think it got dropped because there was this
> implied assumption that if you are buying blank cassette tapes then
> you are automatically going to pirate stuff which is not a good thing.

Over here, we have tapes made just for copying CD's. It says so
right on the the front of the package. Again, this is like the VCR
bit. I feel I'm still missing something here. I know there is a
clause which allows PC owers to dub software incase of mishap.
Perhaps this same law is used to loophole the taping of CD's and
TV shows?

Dave Evans
USA