Re: Sarracenia questions

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Tue Mar 18 1997 - 04:45:18 PST

Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 07:45:18 -0500 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia questions

Paul McCullough wrote:

> ... I'd like to grow some Sarracenia Flava and/or Leucophylla...
> ... Since these two sarracenia can reach heights of three feet or
> more, I'm guessing this won't work, but others have told me that these
> plants will stay short when in a confined space. They'd eventually hit
> the lights is my assumption. (two-foot high terrarium)

I haven't been travelling to many wild stands of Sarraceniae,
but I have seen many in outdoor cultivation. Very few clones
I've seen really grow three feet tall or more. Very few.

There's a leucophylla 'titan', and a 'copper top' flava that
reach this height. Most of the leucophyllas and flavas I've
seen are shorter. Do they stay under 2 feet? Some do. It's
a shame that you're confined to such a small terrarium. The
taller Sarraceniae look so beautiful when they're left to
grow unimpeded.

Regards,

Perry Malouf