Re: scapes

From: Chris Teichreb (teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA)
Date: Wed Mar 19 1997 - 13:11:30 PST

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 15:11:30 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: scapes

Hi Bob,

> Several of my CP, namely S. purpurea, D. californica, and the butterworts,
> are
> starting to send up seed scapes. Should I allow them to flower or terminate
> the scape? I wish to maintain these plants as long as possible.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bob Wolff

        With these plants, I'd definitely let them flower. You shouldn't
have problems with the plants dying on you from flowering. As well,
you'll have the added bonus of seed in the fall (earlier for the
Pings).

        As for the Pings, most definitely let them flower. This
is the whole reason a lot of people grow them, is for the flower.
They're easy to pollinate, and some species are annuals so
if you don't pollinate them, you won't have any plants next
year!

Regards,

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biology