re: Sarracenias

From: L235@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 21 1997 - 06:54:38 PST

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 09:54:38 -0500 (EST)
From: L235@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Sarracenias

>Last week I returned my Sarracenias from their overwintering place to my
>room. They already start forming new pitchers, but last year's pitchers are
>still present and green. Should I remove the old pitchers to promote the
>growth of the new pitchers? Or should I just wait till they are dead? All
>advices are welcome.

>Mark van Kleunen

 Mark, I'd leave the pitchers and phyllodia on until they begin to turn
brown. My guess is that
the photosynthetic activity of the remaining leaves is more valuable than any
benefit you might
obtain by removing them to promote new growth.

Adrian Slack recommends in his book, Carnivorous Plants, that as pitchers
turn brown,
you only cut off that portion, leaving the green part (as opposed to cutting
off the entire pitcher
as soon as the top begins to wither).

Jay Lechtman