Good Creepy Crawly

From: Nigel Hurneyman (NHurneyman@softwar1.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 21 1997 - 10:16:41 PST

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 18:16:41 -0000
From: Nigel Hurneyman <NHurneyman@softwar1.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Good Creepy Crawly

Last night I noticed a small orange-brownish looking thingy walking
across the compost of a pot of pygmy sundews. Initially I thought it
was a spider mite, but rather than nuke it immediately with insecticide
I watched it for a while. Suddenly it grabbed the head of a fungus gnat
larva that I hadn't even noticed, pulled it out of the compost and started
munching away on it. (The fungus gnat larva continued to wriggle even
when it had been half eaten). So there is something that can be used as
a biological control for fungus gnat larvae, although I have no idea what
it is!

Good Growing, NigelH