D. and U. identification.

From: Christopher Walkden (Christow@msn.com)
Date: Sat Mar 22 1997 - 21:21:25 PST

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 97 05:21:25 UT
From: "Christopher Walkden" <Christow@msn.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. and U. identification.

I have a couple of plants that I don't know the names of. Can anyone help?

The first is a non tuberous rosette Drosera, about 2cm in diameter. It has
plenty of leaves, green with red tentacles, these are teardrop shaped (rather
than a thin stem then a round leaf). Flowers are pink, and I have seen up to
eight on a scape. I have only ever seen one scape to a plant, they are
flowering now - early autumn. This plant could be a D.cistiflora (according
to the description in a book I have), but I'm not sure.

The other plant is a terrestrial Utricularia. It has thin green leaves about
2-3mm long, and one or two flowers on a 2-3cm high scape. The flowers are
green balls about 1mm wide, from which white petals emerge for a while. The
balls go purple, and then dry out to a papery brown colour. When the balls
are brown, a piece detaches from the ball to become a sort of cup thing
underneath it. This description isn't going well...how about some ascii art!

O)___________
This is a scape on its side, with the seed pod on top. The seed pod and the
cup thing are both attached! When ripe, the seeds come out as if from a salt
shaker.

Also, I have a plant that I have always called a S.flava. This plant has lots
of yellow flowers, and big yellow pitchers with red veins down the insides.
Some plants also have a nice red splotch in the main fly catching area, just
under the hood. The only problem is that these plants all produce winter
leaves. Do S.flava do this? I was under the impression that only S.oreophila
did so.

Thanks,
Christopher Walkden
Tasmania Australia.