Re: Bog question

From: Chris Teichreb (teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA)
Date: Wed Mar 26 1997 - 16:38:07 PST

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 18:38:07 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Bog question

Hi Cindy,

> Folks,
> I've *finally* gotten moved into my new house, and am planning to plant
> a bog
> by the front door to handle the miscellaneous creatures that delight in flying
> into my house.
> I live in Southern California. The weather rarely gets below 50F in the
> winter, and stays warm in the summer (infrequently above 90F, but usually in
> the
> 70-80F range). It is quite dry.
> Any suggestions as to what to plant? I have plenty of room, so size isn't
> problem.

        At that temperature range, you should be able to grow just about
all of the Sarracenia species, Darlingtonia (provided their roots are
kept cool), VFT's, most Drosera, Pings, etc. You're in that rare zone
where you can grow just about anything as far as CP's. I wish I could
say the same. As far as what to recommend, I guess it all depends on
your tastes. I'd suggest starting off small, or at least bringing
some of the less hardy plants in for the winter, just in case!

> Thanks for any help,
> -cindy, who knows just where her Darlingtonia are, but can't for the life
> of her find the dishes....

Regards,

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biology