Re:water

From: Mark van Kleunen (M.vanKleunen@stud.biol.ruu.nl)
Date: Sun Mar 30 1997 - 01:08:44 PST

Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 11:08:44 +0200
From: Mark van Kleunen <M.vanKleunen@stud.biol.ruu.nl>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:water

>Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 09:36:26
>To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
>From: Mark van Kleunen <M.vanKleunen@stud.biol.ruu.nl>
>Subject: Re: CP digest 1032
>

>>Mark,
>>

>>>Yes, nobody gives them distilled water in the wild. But isn't it true that
>>>proper, nutrient poor habitats for cp's disappear because of the nutrient
>>>input through acid rain.
>>
>>I doubt acid rain harms the PH of the typical bog in the South Eastern
>>United States. The PH is very acidic in the first place, and the ecosystem
>>is quite unique. The water flowing everywhere is all extremely acidic. It
>>resembles tea because it percolates through the peat/sand and and absorbs
>>the tanins, etc... So IMHO I think acid rain doesn't bother CP one bit.
>>But I am by no means a scientist. I can't this is absolutely true, so
>>anyone have any more input here?
>>
>>Take care & keep on growing,
>>
>>-Tom-

I have send this message before, but didn't see it arrive on the list. So, I
will try it again.

I agree on that, but I did not mean/mention the PH change caused by acid
rain, but the deposition of nutrients (especially nitrogen oxides). The
nutrient input by rain has caused formerly nutrient-poor ecosystems with a
high diversity of species to become monocultures.
>However, I also think that this problem of rain water will not arise in a
collection of cp plants. Since in nature the biggest problem of the higher
nutrient availability will be the increasing dominance of other more common
species and these species are not present in a collection. So, I think that
most rain water is appropriate for watering your cp's, I only did not agree
with the reasoning of Tom.