water

From: Lasseter Benjamin (lasseter@chemvx.chem.tamu.edu)
Date: Tue May 06 1997 - 19:15:36 PDT

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 21:15:36 -0500
From: lasseter@chemvx.chem.tamu.edu (Lasseter Benjamin)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: water

Dear ladies and gentlemen,
        I am Benjamin F. Lasseter, a graduate student in protein chemistry
at Texas A&M university. First of all, I would like to say how delighted I
am to join the CP society. My primary interest in the matter is not so
much botany or methods of growing these fine creatures, but rather in their
enzymology. Though I have been raising our common autotrophic plants for
some years, I began to wonder some weeks ago about the enzymatic mechanisms
of digestion of carnivorous plants, and discovered this group when doing an
internet search. Sadly, I will not be able to get funding for any CP
projects until AFTER I recieve my doctorate, so this will have to remain a
project for my off hours.
Too bad.
        Second, should like to respond to a question from one of our members.

> Now all
>I need is the correct water. I have buckets outside right now, because it's
>raining. I know I possibly get enough water from the rain to give to my
>plants, so I need to find some other source. I need to know what to do! I
>was wondering if I just let a bucket of tap water out to sit for a couple
>day, if that would get rid of all those nasty things in the water that pose a
>threat to my CP's. Also, I have a dehumidifyer. Is the water collected from
>that good? And, my pool had a cover on it over the winter. A lot of water
>has colleced in it, but it is a bit dirty. Is that okay too? Thanks
>alot!!!!
>
> Ryan

        Leaving tap water to sit out for a couple of days is very likely to
get it contaminated. Tap water is fine to use, however. I have found that
boiling such water for a few minutes, covering it, then letting it cool
back down to room temperature is a fine way to make sure it is pure. I am
not sure if even this boiling step is always needed, but it certainly
doesn't hurt. Do not use distilled or deionized water for plants. It
lacks the trace metals that are required for growth. Bottled spring water
would probably work just great, but I have never felt the need to go this
far.

        Sincerely,
                Benjamin F. Lasseter