Re: water

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Wed May 07 1997 - 05:10:43 PDT

Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 08:10:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: water

Benjamin Lasseter wrote about using tap water for CP:

> Leaving tap water to sit out for a couple of days is very likely to
> get it contaminated. Tap water is fine to use, however. I have found that
> boiling such water for a few minutes, covering it, then letting it cool
> back down to room temperature is a fine way to make sure it is pure.

We need to be careful about terminology here. From the above
context, it seems that 'contaminated' means 'not sterile'. And,
'pure' means 'sterile'.

When we talk about using water for CP, usually the word
'pure' refers to extremely low levels of dissolved salts
or other impurities.

Discussion of leaving tap water sit out for a couple of days
was in the context of allowing the dissolved chlorine to
leave the water, not to sterilize the water.

> Do not use distilled or deionized water for plants. It
> lacks the trace metals that are required for growth.

The 'trace metals' can be put back quite easily if need be.
Also, trace metals are easily found in the potting media
itself. Ultra-pure water flowing through the pot can
leach out ions over time, but these can be restored.

Some people have used their local tap water on their
CP with poor long-term results. Accumulation of
dissolved salts is one reason.

I use a reverse osmosis unit to purify water for my
Nepenthes, and they've been doing just fine.

I use straight tap water for my Dionaea, Droserae (more
common varieties) and orchids.

Regards,

Perry Malouf