n. alata leaves yellowing

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix20.ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 19:21:35 PDT

Date: Tue, 8 Apr 97 22:21:35 -0400
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix20.ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: n. alata leaves yellowing

Greetings Chris,
I grow Nepenthes in South Florida, so my conditions are very different
from yours.
It sounds like your alata is growing in overly "close" conditions. Your
guess about the roots is probably correct, and considering it is spring,
I would not hesitate to carefully remove the plant from the pot and
examine the roots. If the roots are few and short, soak the plant in
superthrive solution for half an hour and repot in fresh mix. With the
day length increasing, the plant should rebound quickly. N. alata is a
fast grower and prolific pitcher producer, but they do slow down in
winter, even here in sunny south Florida. Do not spray with Miracid until
re-established. Do not fertilize the roots. Only foliar feed. Miracid
contains chelated iron, so that is not the problem. Spray the leaves with
distilled water several times a day after repotting until it comes back.
I have found N. alata to be very adaptive to lower humidity, given time
to acclimate.
Hope this is helpful. best of luck and good growing!

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida.