Re: Ibicella lutea

From: Wim Leys (leyswi@lin.vlaanderen.be)
Date: Thu Apr 10 1997 - 17:04:51 PDT

Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 17:04:51 -0700
From: Wim Leys <leyswi@lin.vlaanderen.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Ibicella lutea

Jan,

> > A few of the things he told me :
> > - the seedpods can kill sheep and even cows
>
> Did anyone test this? How? Anyway, an average tree can also kill all
> kinds of animals (if it falls on the head of its victim).

He has seen a photograph of a dead cow with a seedpod in its mouth.

> There is AFAIK only the old Mameli stuff (written very early this
> century), which is cited over and over again, rather than any
> experiment to be done. Therefore, I am very happy to see that anyone
> is eager to perform some science with this plant. First of all, try
> the film test described to work with _Pinguicula_ by Heslop-Harrison &
> Knox (Planta 96:183- 211, 1971) and proved to give negative results
> with _Roridula_ by Ellis & Midgley (Oecologia 106:478-481, 1996).
> This will show in a very straightforward way if the plant is able to
> digest animal protein.

Thanks, I'll pass it on to him.

> Is the plant identified correctly? There is a significant danger of
> confusion with _Proboscidea_. I think _Proboscidea_ was tested for
> proteolytic activity already (it did AFAIK not have any digesting
> properties). Approx. 90% of the plants sold as "Ibicella" are in fact
> only forms of _Proboscidea louisianica_.

I have not seen his plants. I met him at "The famous fair" in Ghent (Hi
Laurent, finally we have met !)

This is the description of the plant that grew from the "Ibicella lutea"
seeds that were given to me (by someone else) : (sorry, I am not
familiar with the correct English botanical expressions)
- it's an annual plant, sown during february in compost, they die soon
after a few frosty nights
- the seeds are dark-grey / black and look "hammered" (if I remember
well)
- the plant grows very fast
- it's a symmetric grower (1 - 2 - 4 - 8 - 16 - ... branches)
- the whole plant is covered with greasy glands (like Pinguicula, but
larger)
- the flowers are yellow, they appear in groops
- the seedpod is covered with a green outer layer like that of a walnut.
This outer layer is also covered with greasy glands
- the seedpod is woodlike and has the form of a glass teardrop with a
sharp hook at the end. When the seedpod dries, the sharp hook splits
open, resulting in two very sharp hooks. The angle between the two hooks
varies. The thick end of the seedpod is covered with woodlike spikes.

It's such a spectacular seedpod that I've put a few on display in our
living room. Now that our baby-girl will begin to walk, I'll have to
look for a much safer place to put them. I have never seen any proof of
it killing a sheep or a cow, but I do know that the hooks may very
easily make someone blind (I would never forgive myself).

Do you know of a Web site where I can find photographs or descriptions
of Ibicella lutea and / or Proboscidea louisianica ?

Kind regards
Wim