Re: Cindy's bog with Byblis

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Apr 14 1997 - 16:43:00 PDT

Date:    Mon, 14 Apr 97 19:43 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cindy's bog with Byblis

> From: "Sarver.Cindy V3I" <sarver.cindy@SSDGWY.MDC.COM>
>
> Could you elaborate? I've never grown Byblis, although I've wanted to try
> some (I think they're gorgeous). If I make the mound as you're described,
> should I try putting in a wick of some type to keep it moist? And a proposed
> ratio for sand:peat? How do I keep the mound from flattening? Sounds like a
> neat addition, to me... I'm also thinking of sinking a small undrained tub for
> some aquatic Utrics (which seem to outgrow whatever container I put them in
> inside).

Hi Cindy,

    I don't think I can really elaborate about the Byblis, since
I don't have much experience growing it, but perhaps someone (Tom H?)
could help with how much water it likes... If they like fairly wet,
then you could just use three or more patio blocks to shore up a
1:1 <maybe 1:2> (peat:sand) mix. Set it so that it holds the
soil inside at at least four or five inches higher.
          __________________
        // | \\ <= Higher ground (this is how I grow
      // Bog | \\ hardy Pinguicula)
      | |_______\272 <--= patio block wall
      | \272
      | \272 The highest point is furthest from the
      | \272 egde of the bog , so it slopes toward
      \\ // you.
        \\__________________//

If they like it drier, I would just plant them in pots or whatever
else they might like...

   The Utrics might be done by sinking 5 gallon buckets into the
bog, but you could grow them in these out of bog too (just don't
let them fry in the summer heat and sun.) They would be more
protected in the bog, but you would need change the water either
way. If you did put the buckets in the bog, you might want to
put a hole in the bottom of the bucket so when it rains, the
water filters out through the hole and you don't have to change
the water (just poor water into it).

Dave Evans