Cindy's bog with Byblis

From: Sarver.Cindy V3I (sarver.cindy@ssdgwy.mdc.com)
Date: Sun Mar 30 1997 - 16:50:16 PST

Date: 31 Mar 1997 08:50:16 U
From: "Sarver.Cindy V3I" <sarver.cindy@ssdgwy.mdc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cindy's bog with Byblis

On 28 Mar 97 Dave Evans wrote:

"I was thinking about how she might get Byblis to grow too...
Perhaps making a sort of mound in the sunniest part of the bog
using a lot more sand than peat and make it high enough so it is
well above the water line (where Sarracenia grow) but still able
to get enough water to grow well. They're somewhat like Drosophyllum
in that they don't like being too wet, but are much more forgiving
and like contasnt moisture."

Dave or anyone else,
   Could you elaborate? I've never grown Byblis, although I've wanted to try
some (I think they're gorgeous). If I make the mound as you're described,
should I try putting in a wick of some type to keep it moist? And a proposed
ratio for sand:peat? How do I keep the mound from flattening? Sounds like a
neat addition, to me... I'm also thinking of sinking a small undrained tub for
some aquatic Utrics (which seem to outgrow whatever container I put them in
inside).
   Comments, anyone?

      Thanks,
          -cindy