Re: Cephalotus

From: dragon@huron.net
Date: Fri Apr 18 1997 - 08:36:52 PDT

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:36:52 -0400
From: dragon@huron.net
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cephalotus

Hello Rocky;
     In regards to the demise of your Cephalotus, did it die from the
leaves down, or from the ground up? If it died from the leaves, it may
yet still be alive, but if the roots went first, I'm afraid it is done
for! Cephs seem prone to root rot (from my experience), and I never let
my plants stand in water; I only water from the top and only when
necessary. I gage the compost by lifting the pot or observation. I
lost 3 Cephs before I got it right! Unfortunately, most of the CP books
instruct one to let the plant stand in water.
     I grow mine in a cool house next to Sarracenias. Bright light, but
no direct sun, in a compost of 3 parts peat to 1 of coarse acid sand.
Temps: 20 to 35 C in summer, and 5 to 10 C in winter. I live in
Ontario, Canada by the way.
     I hope this information is useful to you! Good luck!
     Nigel Rostance