Hunter behaviour of the male readers

From: Ide Laurent (ide@arcadis.be)
Date: Sat Apr 19 1997 - 11:14:25 PDT

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 19:14:25 +0100
From: Ide Laurent <ide@arcadis.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Hunter behaviour of the male readers

Charles wrote:

> One day I had a bright idea and with sundew in hand, I went chasing the
swarm of bugs.

Well, I've already done the same with success.
I already thought I'll put fruit peels around the plants as someone else in
the list to attract little bugs.

Here another tip, for summer evenings:

Everyone knows how the bugs are attracted by lamps at night.
Put your droseras or pings under a lamp. When the insects hit the lamp, they
are burned and think they are attacked by something. Their defense strategy
is to loose altitude as soon as possible to escape or to simulate their death,
maybe ? In anyway, they fall rightly to the soil... and your sticky plants.

The best in this strange method, is that uncatched flies, feeling safe,
quickly fly again to the lamp and fall again, one, two, three times ! Very a
few chances to escape from our diabolic trap !

A question about cephalotus: this plant comes from Australia, is it then a
winter grower ? Does it need a warm and dry dormancy period, or cool and dry
?

Big hello to all

Laurent