Re: Hunter behaviour of the male readers

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue Apr 22 1997 - 14:33:00 PDT

Date:    Tue, 22 Apr 97 17:33 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Hunter behaviour of the male readers

Hello Laurent,

> A question about cephalotus: this plant comes from Australia, is it then a
> winter grower ? Does it need a warm and dry dormancy period, or cool and dry
> ?

Basically, yes. However, this is plant doesn't go completely dormant
but changes it's leaves from traps to flat "normal" leaves. A good
name might have been C. heterophylla; this is would be a better name
for Cephalotus than some other CPs bearing that name. It still likes
warm temps (don't read this as meaning hot, I wouldn't take them much
above 80~F/26~C. for the highest daily temps) through the fall and
winter. Also, the soil should never dry out.
   This may work good: in the winter, keep the plant sitting
very shallow water, about a cm above the holes in the bottom of the
pot. Keep the light strong, in our winter the light becomes very
weak so I have to suppliment with extra lighting, but don't let the
plants get more than 11 hours/day. For the summer, take it out of the
water, but still water it a lot from above (but not too much, else it
will rot). Lighting for me is just fine without extra during the
summer. I just set them outside, in the shallowest (the water only
runs into pots by itself when it rains) part of a tray.
  This plant is still a mystery for me, sometimes I can just rip
one apart a make all sorts of cuttings or transplants. Other times
I'll just think about transplanting one and it will die! I assume
this is because it's semi-dormant state is not very noticable so
I'll transplant at the wrong time, but there seems to be no dependable
way to make sure when it's safe to do...

Dave Evans