Re:Does Hemisphere really make a difference?

From: Michael A Sankovich (aquilla2@juno.com)
Date: Sun Apr 20 1997 - 06:08:05 PDT

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 09:08:05 EDT
From: aquilla2@juno.com (Michael A Sankovich)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Does Hemisphere really make a difference?

Hi List.
 So many times I read here that people are concerned with growing
southern hemisphere plants in the north, and vise versa. Our winters,
their summers etc., could this confuse the plants?
        I would think that the growing periods for these plants would be
dependent upon photo period and temperature. ie. Here in the north east
U.S. my southern Saracenias always seem to push flower scapes early:
Jan., Feb., Mar., while my S. purps remain dormant much longer. I
usually move my southern sarrs. outdoors to prevent them from blooming to
soon, and even with freezing nights and cold days they still continue to
push scapes, but at a slower rate. But I find that this makes for
stronger more sturdier plants. that can be naturally pollinated when the
insects are active. Have never had any flowers open until the weather
warmed sufficiently for an extended time.
        Southern species growing in a greenhouse come out of dormancy and
flower at their usual time ie. Jan. Feb.
        Now getting back to hemispheres. I believe that those plants
that have a dormancy period would come out of dormancy whenever the photo
period matched their counterpart in the opposite hemisphere also
dependant upon temperature or moisture, where this is a factor in their
growing conditions. It shouldn't matter which hemisphere as long as
these conditions were met.
        Just my $.02 worth and wild pondering. Thought it might instill
some thought and comparison for discussion.

Good growing
Michael Sankovich