Re: Fungus?

From: The Dickersons (randls@juno.com)
Date: Sun Apr 20 1997 - 17:37:42 PDT

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 17:37:42 -0700
From: randls@juno.com (The Dickersons)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Fungus?

Marcel wrote:

>Close examination (with magnifying glass ;-) revealed the following:
>
>The white stuff seems like a kind of web just above the soil at the
>base =
>of the plant. I couldn't see any bugs causing it, which won't =
>necessarily mean they aren't there. What attracted my attention was
>the =
>damage to the pitchers. The edge of the pitchers was just above the
>soil =
>splitted and had some kind of red color. Like some bug eating its way
>up =
>just in the edge.

     I've seen this "webbing" before on the soil of some of my plants.
I'm pretty sure (on my plants) it was caused by tiny clear "worms" with a
black mouth. They resemble maggots but are totally translucent and about
1/8 inch long. They hang around the top of the soil and quickly
disappear if disturbed, so it's hard to catch them. I also think these
"worms" are larvae for tiny flys I see periodically around my CP's.
These flys are the only insect I see so I'm sure they're connected with
the "worms". These flys also have an amazing ability to avoid falling
prey (at least for a longer time than what is expected) to my CP's,
especially Drosersa. I also think these unwanted "worms" destroyed a
beautiful specimen of S. purpurea of mine a few years back. The rizome
became rotten and there was "webbing" all around the soil. I think they
had a feast on my poor pitcher. Try probing around the soil with a
toothpick and see if you can spot any of these nasty "worms".

Good luck!

-Ryan-