Re: VFT flowering ??? !!!

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Apr 21 1997 - 16:30:00 PDT

Date:    Mon, 21 Apr 97 19:30 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT flowering ??? !!!

> From: Tan Chee Kien <cheekien@PACIFIC.NET.SG>
>
> Hi everyone ! I need help from any one of you who knows how to get
> VFTs flowering. I have had 3 VFTs that started sending stalks. I obediently
> cut off the first one, and let the other flower stalk (from the Akai Ryu) go
> on growing, regardless of the warnings by my friend Ernest. Well, the stalk
> grew for a while and then turned black and mushy ! Anyone knows why ?And
> after that the plant seems to be affected too and stopped growing.
>
> I have another stalk growing from a normal VFT now and I would like
> to save it to see how the flowers look. Can anyone please help ?
> Thanks, and happy CP growing !

Hello Tan Chee Kien,

    Your VFT might not be too happy because:

The flower stalk got too close to the lights and burned.
They are in too dim lighting and don't have enough energy for strong
flowers.
I'm sure there are more reasons this might have happenned (bugs,
bad water/fertilizer, poorly defined seasons, ect.).

  Anyway, flowering can sap a VFT. If they are happy, however, the
drain is bearly noticably and often they will send up several flower
stalks. People mention letting their VFT flower and killing it.
Well, it can't have been very heathly then. Most likey, it was already
stressed by something and then put the energy it had left into the
flowers. Perhaps your's was smarter? ;)

Dave Evans