Re: Nep Rajah cultivation

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Tue Apr 29 1997 - 10:10:16 PDT

Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 13:10:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nep Rajah cultivation

Cindy wrote:

> I am looking at adding a Nep. rajah to my collection
> Does anyone have any particular advice? Humid, not too warm?

Unless you're into Nepenthes for the long haul, and have
a _lot_ of patience, and have a well-controlled growing
environment (greenhouse), my advice is:

        Forget it! Stick to the Nepenthes that are easier
        to grow!

Do you sense a bit of frustration in my tone? Yup.

Nepenthes rajah, villosa, edwardsiana, and probably others
I haven't played with yet, are particularly hard to grow.
They're very, very, very, very slow from seed or tissue
culture. As young plants they're also very, very, very
delicate. A veritable pain in the butt.

I'd estimate that it would take 5 years at least to raise
one of these to a size that would be good to show off
(maybe one foot). Compare that to the more common varieties
of Nepenthes which can put on a foot or more of growth
in a few months.

Too bad, since they're among the most spectacular species
in my opinion. I know a few people who have them in
tissue culture or planted out from seed. All the plants
are still tiny and fragile. They're nothing like the
gorgeous specimens I saw in Kinabalu Park.

Anyone who has mature plants of these species in cultivation
are unknown to me (but then again, I don't know lots of
growers). And they'll probably stay that way to protect
what are surely very rare and valuable specimens.

Sorry to rain on your parade. Think carefully before
blowing big bucks on these.

Regards,

Perry Malouf