Re: About Darlingtonia..(a question from a newbie)

From: Brian Cooley (cooley@golden.adams.net)
Date: Wed Apr 30 1997 - 16:53:37 PDT

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 18:53:37 -0500
From: Brian Cooley <cooley@golden.adams.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: About Darlingtonia..(a question from a newbie)

Jeffrey Shen wrote:

> Hello there!
>
> Being a novice at growing carnivorous plants, I was just wondering what
> would happen if Darlingtonia were placed in an area with too little sunlight
> for its growing needs. I keep reading that the leaves would undergo "spindly
> growth". Just what exactly would this "spindly growth" look like? Would the
> leaf be over-developed (very tall) or under-developed (too short)? How long
> should it take for the leaf "head" to open up from its flattened state?
> I've never seen the developmental paattern of Darlingtonia, so I'm not too
> sure what a healthy, happy plant would look like, so I would love to hear
> from more experienced growers how it should be.
>
> Thanks!
> -Jeff Shen

When a plant is starved from light it will undergo etiolation. The
leaves and stem will get overly elongated to the point that the plant
can no longer support itself (extreme case). And it's color will look
washed out.

I don't know anything about the particular plant that you listed and can
give no information on what it should look like. I hope this is at
least some help to you.