Re: strange Sarracenia leaves

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Thu May 01 1997 - 13:39:10 PDT

Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 16:39:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: strange Sarracenia leaves

> Hi,
>
> Now is spring and the new Sarracenia pitchers are
> coming out.

> Because this wind, the temperature during the day
> are nice, about 20 c., but during the night they fall to 6-7 c.
> Fortunatly my Sarr don't suffer for low humidity
> because they are protected.
> But I noticed that S. alata and leucophilla
> started to make sick new leaves.
> The alata ones started turning on themselves
> (as Darlingtonia, you know) and making
> the classic "large ala-small tube".
> While the leucophilla couldn't produce
> leaves at all, as it putted out only
> some strange, deform, 1 cm long (it's
> an adult plant!) pesudo-leaves.
> Marcello Catalano

(SNIP for space)

If I am reading your problem correctly, you are saying that your other Sarrs.,
maybe flava, and purp., are producing healthy looking traps while alata is
producing eisenform traps and lueco is producing flat phyllodia. Well, that is
more or less typical for this time of year. If you have rubra, they too may be
producing traps like alata. Flava is a vigorous early trap producer, but late
in the summer will start looking ragged. Lueco. sometimes produces two good
sets of pitchers - early summer and late summer, but often will produce
phyllodia early in the summer and come back with strong pitchers later that in
good locations last over winter. As for alata, it seems to be a toss up. They
seem to start weak and gain as successive pitchers emerge.

I would suggest just waiting and watching awhile.

On a related note, anyone have creative solutions for tall Sarrs. that topple
in heavy rain and wind. I keep heavy grass out of the pots to reduce pests and
I hate to tie them.

Tom in Fl