strange Sarracenia leaves

From: Catalano Furio (pitagora@sarc.shiny.it)
Date: Thu May 01 1997 - 12:15:05 PDT

Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 21:15:05 +0200
From: Catalano Furio <pitagora@sarc.shiny.it>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: strange Sarracenia leaves

Hi,

Now is spring and the new Sarracenia pitchers are
coming out.
This was really a good spring until now, because
it didn't rain for more than two months, so
that my plants had the possibility to grow
under their beloved, full mars and april sun.

This sun is also due to a costant wind that is
keeping the sky free of clouds.

Because this wind, the temperature during the day
are nice, about 20 c., but during the night they fall to 6-7 c.
Fortunatly my Sarr don't suffer for low humidity
because they are protected.
But I noticed that S. alata and leucophilla
started to make sick new leaves.
The alata ones started turning on themselves
(as Darlingtonia, you know) and making
the classic "large ala-small tube".
While the leucophilla couldn't produce
leaves at all, as it putted out only
some strange, deform, 1 cm long (it's
an adult plant!) pesudo-leaves.

For the leucophilla, after too many
mutant leaves, I decided to cut the growing tip,
and the rhizome is now proliferating.
(Maybe it was/is a rhizome fungus?).

But for the alata I don't know what to do.
I putted it in a new pot, more deep,
without touching the roots and giving
a little dose of Superthrive.

Maybe during the night it's too much
cold?
Maybe the pot was too small?
Maybe the rhyzome is too much exposed?
(it's almost entirely on the soil surface)
Maybe Botrytis (I never had problem with it,
it would be strange, with high light and
ventilation.)?
Last year I bought these alata and leucophilla
from a nursery that was growing them
in a greenhouse. Maybe now they
suffer for lack of humidity?
(but usually the lack of humidity don't
produce this kind of deformity)

I was long to give you enough details on the
situation.
Any solution?

Thanks,

Marcello Catalano