Re: strange Sarracenia leaves

From: Wim Leys (wim.leys@lin.vlaanderen.be)
Date: Mon May 05 1997 - 13:49:17 PDT

Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 13:49:17 -0700
From: Wim Leys <wim.leys@lin.vlaanderen.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: strange Sarracenia leaves

Hi Tom,

> On a related note, anyone have creative solutions for tall Sarrs. that topple
> in heavy rain and wind. I keep heavy grass out of the pots to reduce pests and
> I hate to tie them.

I placed a large net over my artificial bog to keep (black)birds out of
it. The highest growing Sarrs grew through the holes. In the beginning I
didn't like it at all. After a downpour with heavy wind, most pitchers
of the upright growing Sarrs were laying down, while those that had
grewn through the holes in the net were still standing upright.

You have to keep an eye open to prevent more than one pitcher from
growing through the same hole. If they open, they will deform each
other. Under ideal conditions (warm, sunny, humid) they grow very fast;
you'll have to check them daily.

> The alata ones started turning on themselves
> (as Darlingtonia, you know)

This is the very first time (in 14 years) my S. alata's are doing the
same thing.

Kind regards
Wim Leys