Low humidity Neps...

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Mon May 05 1997 - 04:50:39 PDT

Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 07:50:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Low humidity Neps...

Gordon Wells asked a question that was very
pertinent to Nepenthes afficionados who do not
have greenhouses:

> Speaking of humidity, does anyone have any suggestions for
> Nepenthes species which produce pitchers even in low humidity ?

We need to understand what is meant by 'low humidity'. Most
Nepenthes seem to do well in constant relative humidity of
70% or higher. So does 'low humidity' mean 50%? Not in
Arizona :-)

I live near Washington, DC and in winter I have trouble
keeping the humidity in my "nepenthes room" higher than
60%. THe house has central heating and airconditioning,
but I up the humidity by keeping the door closed and
by putting damp beach towels on a rubber mat, on the floor.
In winter the towels have to be watered down morning and
evening--less frequently in the (more humid) summer.

Umm, for Nepenthes species, I don't know of very many that
thrive in humidity lower than 70%. Which explains why I've
had lousy performance from my N. mirabilis plants.

Species which have done well for me in 50%-60% humidity
are alata, ampullaria, and khasiana.

Most of the ones which do better in this humidity range
(for me) are not species, but hybrids. 'Ile de France',
dyeriana, ventrata, mixta 'superba' to name a few.

Another issue to consider is how _constant_ the humidity
is. I had a N. alata with 14 pitchers on it--gorgeous,
and all of this grew during the winter when humidity
was around 55%. In early summer I brought the plant
outside where humidity _fluctuated_ between 50% and
80% (we had a rare, dry Spring). The beautiful N. alata
had all of its pitchers turn brown in 4 days.

Perhaps some Nepenthes can acclimate to humidity as
low as 50% and still look great, but I think it's important
to keep that (lower) humidity _constant_ at the very least.

> ...Has anyone come up with any N. arida, N. desertica, N.
> suculenta, or N. camelensis hybrids ?

Oh how I wish! Very good concept :-)

Regards,

Perry Malouf