Re: low humidity Neps.

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Wed May 07 1997 - 06:45:18 PDT

Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 09:45:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: low humidity Neps.

> I just checked the relative humidity near my Nepenthes alata with a Radio
> Shack hygrometer: 30%. The plant currently has 9 open pitchers and more
> developing, so I guess at least some clones of N. alata will pitcher in less
> than 50% humidity.
> I recently purchased a Nepenthes Coccinea thinking it would be as easy to
grow
> as N. alata, but these recent postings have me worried. Have I been lulled
> into a false sense of complacency by a particularly easy clone of N. alata?
> cheers,
> Nick

N coccinea is usually easy. However, at 30% humidity you may also have a
particularly easy alata. I have several alatas from several sources, one
pitchers very easily, another is a little erratic, and a third is a real pain.
The third refuses to pitcher unless it is in a closed terrarium. The only
redeeming feature is that it produces the nice two color (green lower-half, red
upper-half) pitchers.

And since you mentioned it, I have considered buying an hygrometer. Are they
reliable or what?

Tom in Fl.