Re: Sar Seeds

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Wed May 07 1997 - 07:00:50 PDT

Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 10:00:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sar Seeds

> > About two weeks in the fridge
> > could be enough for the most southern plants.
> > Dave Evans

> Sorry everyone, I know I have posted something along these lines before,
> but I like to stratify my Sarra seed for as long as possible. I have
> had seed cold damp stratifying in spaghnum moss in my crisper for
> 12 months, and these showed the best % germination I have seen!

I tend to stratify for about six weeks, but just to confirm the fact that
nothing is certain in CPs, I always get some seedlings coming up in my outdoor
plants from seed that was dropped before I could collect it. I have no idea
the percent germination, but this last winter we did not have any nights below
freezing. We did have at least one week where most nights got into the 40's but
the day temps climbed back into the mid to high 60's. So, I wonder if other
stratification approaches might work also? Maybe a week in the frig, or two
days in the freezer?

Tom in Fl