Re: D.brevifolia/capillaris TX

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Tue May 13 1997 - 19:42:42 PDT

Date:          Tue, 13 May 1997 19:42:42
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: D.brevifolia/capillaris TX

Dear Mike,

> I am trying to discern between the capillaris and brevifolia that I have..
> the leaves of what I think are brevifolia seem more like a spoon, but not
> exactly..

Leaf morphology is somewhat variable, especially when the plants
develop. Usually, _D. capillaris_ is the more robust plant with
larger leaves and rosettes but young plants can be very similar to
_D. brevifolia_.

> Yet all of the flower stalks have tiny glandular hairs on them,
> which leads me to believe that they are all brevifolia.. can capillaris
> ever develop such hairs?

Yes, but they are usually very minute and short. The scapes are
almost glabrous in normal plants.

The clearest distinguishing feature is in the stipules of the two
species. In _D. brevifolia_ these are reduced to two lateral
deciduous setae at the very base of the petiole. These are very
frequently confused with simple hairs but they are different and
clearly stipule rudiments upon closer inspection. _D. capillaris_
has normal intrapetiolar stipules like most of the rosetted species.

Kind regards
Jan