Stratification

From: dragon@huron.net
Date: Wed May 14 1997 - 12:22:32 PDT

Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 15:22:32 -0400
From: dragon@huron.net
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Stratification

To Bill Burkel, and anyone else in earshot...

     As per Sarracenia stratification, I will reveal the results of an
experiment I conducted last year.
     I purchased 3 packets of S. purpurea purpurea heterophylla from a
non CP seed house in the UK; each pkt had 10 seeds each. All were sown
on identical compost of peat/sand/perlite. Test 1: the seeds were sown
and placed immediately in the greenhouse on 03/18/96. Temp ranges from
8 c evening to 20 c daytime. Test 2: sown on compost and stratified in
the fridge for 2 weeks; removed and placed next to T1. Test 3: Soaked
seeds in water for 12 hours, then placed them in freezer for 36 hours.
At the end of the freezing process, just placed the ice cubes on the
compost and then placed them next to the previous test pots.
     Test 1: Germinated within 2 weeks, only 70% success. However,
growth vigorous and largest of all test subjects (4-5 cm leaf length
presently)
     Test 2: Slower to germinate but 100% success rate. However, plants
are smaller (3 cm leaf length) but still healthy.
     Test 3: Very slow to germinate; only 2 plantlets of 2 cm length.
But, they are suddenly germinating again; 5 more in the last 2 weeks.
Still slow and not as vigorous as the previous tests subjects.
     Conclusions: Stratify! For at least 2 weeks! When you acquire
seed, you have no idea how long it has been in storage. It is also a
good idea to spray the seeds with a fungicide to prevent mold, but after
stratification.
     I hope this long-winded answer will aid you!

     Regards, Nigel