Re: Re: D. sp. Magliesburg description

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri May 16 1997 - 18:00:00 PDT

Date:    Fri, 16 May 97 21:00 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: D. sp. Magliesburg description

Hello Jan,

> I have already written that before but repetition won't do any harm:
> Your "species Magaliesburg" is in all probability either an unusual
> form of _D. madagascariensis_ or the probably hybridogenic

Well, having seen D.mad., I know this plant is not that. Does
anyone know where I might find a drawing or, better yet, a photo(s)
of these plants listed in the paragraph below? I haven't grown
D.burkeana (at least not to my knowledge!), but Tom Hayes has
grown about four species all labelled as D.burkeana, but they were
all different. Perhaps hybrids as Jan pointed out this possiblity.

> D.(?*)collinsiae (both alleged parent species, viz. _D. burkeana_ and
> _D. madagascariensis_ are known from Magaliesberg!).
>
> Your plant is certainly *NOT* anything like the S American _D.
> arenicola_ which is different in almost every character from the
> plant you described.

Hmm... I guess I shouldn't try ID'ing plants first thing when I
wake. ;)

Jan, I was just thinking that you're probably right about it being
a hybrid. The shape of it is very similar to that of D.anglica and
similar to D.intermedia * D.rotundifolia. One of my problems with
this is that most Drosera hybrids have flowers that are asymetrical.
I have see this on D.* hybrida, D.* helolodes (sp?) and a couple
others, all infertile. Perhaps this asymetry is what causes them to
be infertile? Everything (that I could see) looked "right" in the
flowers of D. sp. Magaliesburg and it does make seed, just look in
the IPCS seed bank. BTW, does anyone know if the second generation
looks the same? If it does and it's chomosomes haven't been doubled,
wouldn't that discount the hybrid theory? I feel I've done enough
thinking on this one tonight. Darn it! Another thought. If someone
could tell me how; I might be able to take this plant to my local
college and see if a professor there would be interested enough to
let me count the chomosomes... (sometime soon, I hope)

Dave Evans