Move over Home Depot

From: Don Gates (dgates@lonelyplanet.com)
Date: Tue May 20 1997 - 03:16:09 PDT

Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 10:16:09 +0000
From: "Don Gates" <dgates@lonelyplanet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Move over Home Depot

After many frustrated, luckless months checking the several Home Depots in
the San Francisco Bay Area for stray cp in need of a loving home, I'm happy
to report that a local Payless Drugs (on 51st and Broadway in Oakland, if
you're nearby) has begun to carry several varieties. Among those I found
yesterday were the ubiquitous scrappy-looking VFTs, an unknown-to-me
sword-leafed sundew, and one tiny pot of Darlingtonia. Last week I saw a
thoroughly dead mystery Nepenthes and a few S. purpurea, too, but they've
since been scrapped/sold. Of course, none were sitting in water and all
were on their way to a very thirsty death, but the 'garden center' workers
promised to remedy that situation last night. The biggest surprise was a
collection of 12-inch-high Darlingtonia, bagged like newspapers on a rainy
morning, hanging by a hook nearby. These looked great. None of the above
plants were selling for more than $5.00. Don't know if this is a
nationwide opportunity (another nearby Payless doesn't carry any cp at
all), but I thought it worth a mention.

Happy hunting,

Don in Oakland, California

Don Gates, Editor