Ping flower trapping

From: Chris Marsden (Byway@compuserve.com)
Date: Tue May 20 1997 - 09:18:57 PDT

Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 12:18:57 -0400
From: Chris Marsden <Byway@compuserve.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Ping flower trapping

Hi All,

> I suppose the corollary of the question is - if the plants don't
derive any
> benefit from trapping bugs on the stalks, why does it do it? It seems
like it
> would inhibit the natural pollenators, so it doesn't make sense to me.
> Any thoughts?

Maybe to prevent pests eating the flowers... Pings are rather prone to
attacks by greenfly (at least mine are).. they live in the new, furled
leaves. The only way up to the flower is via the stalk.

Natural pollinators would be attracted to the flower and simply land on the
flower itself, pollinate and go away again.

Kindest Regards,

Toby Marsden